My Recomendations

Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to our RSS feed - get notified about new posts!

2007-05-01

Virtual Barbershop

This is the most amazing piece of audio I've ever heard in my lifetime! You've got to listen to it with your headphones. Please, DO NOT USE SPEAKERS, USE HEADPHONES, or you will ruin the sound illusion. This file has also been published at Metacafe, so if it doesn't play here, visit the link and don't forget to vote for it!

DOWNLOAD Virtual Barbershop in MP3

Now get your hair dried:

DOWNLOAD Virtual Hairdryer in MP3

And listen to sexy Italian girl whispering on your ears:

DOWNLOAD Sexy Voice in MP3

The technique used to create these audio is called Binaural recording. It turned out that Pearl Jam recorded a whole album using this technique, which they obviously called "Binaural". There are quite a few binaural recordings on the Internet, none of them however seems to come close in the effect of the masterpiece presented here. Here are some of them:

Source: Virtual Barbershop

P.S. If you enjoyed this piece of audio as much as I did, please vote for it at Metacafe. Thanks!

9 comments:

Maggie Jury said...

This was fantastic - do you know who exactly is responsible for it??

Unknown said...

No, unfortunately I don't. I asked myself that same question though. I did some search on the Internet, but couldn't find who actually created this piece of audio. It's been republished all over the net since. My guess would be that it was a part of some sound show in some science museum or something, but if you figure out the source, please share it with me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The virtual barbarshop was created by Walt Disney and was used originally in a virtual attraction they had in one of the florida parks, i remember doing it!

Anonymous said...

I know this is old, but for informational purposes, this originates from a hearing aid manufacturer called Starkey and is part of the demo material surrounding their Cetera hearing aids...

Anonymous said...

More DOWNLOAD
http://www.mrsound.tk/

Anonymous said...

this barber shop stuff is about the dopler efect, its a phisics theory about the sound vibration, the wave can vibrate in diffenrent ways to improve a diferent location of the sound.

Anonymous said...

I also heard this at DisneyWorld over 20 years ago.

Brian said...

The Virtual Barbershop (with Manuel and Luigi) audio was created by QSound Labs (www.QSound.com) as an audio demo for a hearing aid company.

Their technology is also used in 3D Sound games for the iPhone/iPad from http://www.EarGames.com.

jhon said...

realise Kelly Jennings works there?" "Really? What doing?" "She's a hairdresser, didn't you know that? She went to hairdressing college part time last year and all through summer" Suddenly Steph wasn't too keen on the idea. "umm are you busy this morning by any chance...?" "Firstly yes I am, I'm going to the salon to get my hair and nails done, secondly as if I would set foot in a place like that. Sends shivers up my spine! Don't worry bout her, what's the worst she can do?, just take a Cosmo to read barber shop denver colorado